Fishing and Boating
Many of the parks in the City of Lubbock park system contain playa lakes, and families are encouraged to bring out their kids and grandkids, enjoy a picnic and fish in our parks! Catch and Release is strongly encouraged so that everyone can enjoy fishing in our parks.
Some of Lubbock's park lakes are periodically stocked with fish by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TWPD).Species include bass, channel catfish and rainbow trout. Information below is courtesy of TWPD! All stockings of fish are subject to change due to fish availability and lake conditions.
Adults and youth fishing in Lubbock's parks must follow all Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's regulations including the possession of a current Texas Fishing License. Link to: Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
for more information.
boating permit is required from the Parks and Recreation Office to use water craft in Lubbock City Parks. We can mail you one by calling 806-775-2673 or come by our office located at 1611 10th Street!
Sailboats, canoes, kayaks and rafts may be used on playa lakes located in any City Park and in the Jim Bertram Lake System.
- Only battery (electric) powered motors may be used.
- All boating regulations as set forth by the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife must be followed.
- Coast Guard approved life preservers must be worn.
- Swimming is not allowed in any of the lakes.
- Boating hours are from sunrise to sunset.