Library Card Information How to Obtain a Library Card
Any resident of the City of Lubbock, Lubbock County, or the West Texas Library System, may obtain a Lubbock Public Library Card. Counties included in the West Texas Library System include Bailey, Lamb, Hale, Floyd, Motley, Cochran, Hockley, Crosby, Dickens, King, Yoakum, Terry, Lynn, Garza, Gaines, Dawson, Borden, Andrews, Martin, Howard, Loving, Winkler, Ector, Midland, Glasscock, Ward, Crane, and Upton. You may visit any library location and fill out an application.
Checking Out Materials
- Card Issued on Site: You may obtain a library card at the time you apply if you present a valid proof of current address. It can be a driver's license, a valid government issued identification card, a checkbook, or a piece of mail with a postmark within the last three months.
- Card Issued by Mail: If you do NOT have a valid proof of address we will mail the card to you. Until you have received your card by mail, you can check out only two items at a time.
- Library Card Application
You can check out up to 50 items on your card. Limits on individual item types are listed below.
- Audio/Multimedia: These items check out for three weeks.
- Books: Most books check out for three weeks, with the exception of new books and bestsellers, which check out for one week.
- Videos/DVDs: These items check out for three days. You may check out up to 5 videos and 5 DVDs.
- Video Games: The library now has Xbox, PS2, and GameCube games available to check out. These items check out for 3 days. You may check out up to 5 games at a time.
There is a late fee of 25 cents per item per day, up to a maximum of $5 per item. Renewing Library Materials
You can renew your library items online or over the phone. To renew items online, you need your user ID (library card number) and your PIN, which can be obtained at the circulation desk. Can I use my Library card at all the Lubbock Public Libraries?
Yes, your library card is valid for use at any of the four Lubbock Public Libraries.